Updated: Jun 5
Photo via Pexels
By Lance-Cody Valdez
As a veteran, you likely have all the skills you need to be a great business owner. You’re hard-working, goal-oriented, and determined to succeed. Launching a business is a great way to leverage the skills you developed in the military to earn an income as a veteran. Of course, starting a business is easier said than done. Put Veterans to Work has assembled some valuable resources below to help you navigate the decisions ahead and get the ball rolling on your new venture!
Business Planning Resources
Conducting market research and writing up a business plan will ensure your new business has a good shot at success. Once you determine exactly what you’re offering to customers, you can register your business and launch a website.
● Ask yourself the right questions to come up with a viable business idea.
● Learn how to write a business plan from the U.S. Small Business Administration.
● Discover what it takes to register a business in your state.
● Get your business website up and running—online website builders make it easy to do this yourself on a budget!
Opportunities for Veterans
Veteran entrepreneurs have access to valuable resources from government agencies and private organizations.
● Reach out to veteran-friendly organizations that can offer support in funding or discounted services.
● Take advantage of entrepreneurial training programs for veterans.
● Seek mentorship from established veteran entrepreneurs to gain valuable professional insight and guidance.
Advertising Your Business
A good marketing strategy is critical to the success of any business. Online resources can help you strategize your marketing, create promotional content, and manage your campaigns without spending money.
● Produce business cards to hand out at events. You can use a free business card maker to design professional promotional cards!
● Create a step-by-step marketing plan. Look for free marketing plan templates online if you don’t know where to start.
● Take advantage of affordable marketing tools like Google Analytics, Hubspot, and Buffer.
Many veterans dream about starting their businesses after serving in the military. With the right resources, you can make that dream a reality! Keep these resources close at hand as you launch and grow your small business.
Whether you want to start your own business or land a job with an existing company, Put Veterans to Work can help! We offer free resume services, informative articles, and valuable resources to assist your transition to civilian life. Check out our website to learn more!